Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Beam Me Up Scotty!

Multi-tasking.

Today I was thinking about how cool it would be if my office were like attached to my home. Like I could walk out the door to my office and be in my house. Preferrably close enough so that during the day, I could be in my laundry room folding laundry, and at the same time, my wireless bluetooth headset from work would be able to pick up calls and provide computer support, etc.

But I don’t want to work from home. I mean sure, a part of me does…. But all you mommy bloggers scare the crap out of me with your tales of undress and your unbrushed hair and your grape tylenol and yogurt stained clothing. I do enough pajama pants on the weekend. I think it’s best if I just continue to “go” to work.

But I would like the convenience of being able to switch the laundry in the middle of the day or keep an eye on the dishwasher while it runs and unload it when it’s through. I wouldn’t even mind being able to cook a real meal for lunch instead of Lean Cuisine.

I will be happy when time and space can be traveled through without the hassle. I think teleportation is the answer. It would be nice to be in my office one minute, designing a webpage, and beam myslef home to switch the laundry. But I have to be realistic and know that the workplace nazis would consider me “unavailable” during that short time period, so I might as well forget that fantasy and go back to having my house adjoin my office.

Although then when I went to work I would still have to deal with husband’s socks and underwear on the floor of my office and his guitar in my computer chair and his laptop power cord strung across the top of my desk. How annoying would THAT be! So I would need to have an office adjoining with my house that had a retinal scanner and handprint technology on the door, to avoid access by husband and his posessions.

Ahhhh…. Technology. If I have to multitask, can’t we just make it simple for me?

2 comments:

Mel said...

I agree. I am a hybrid. I own my own business, but only go in twice a week. I do all of my other stuff from home after the kids are asleep. So, I am a stay-at-home, work-at-home, work-out-of-the-home, work-my-ass-off hybrid. I would love to have my store attached to my house. On second thought, maybe not. But beam me anywhere but here, please.

Would that grape tylenol reference be regarding my lovely Wisconsin shirt, by any chance?

Haven't had a chance to visit in a long while, so I need to go catch up!

Unknown said...

It WAS your tylenol. LOL. And I can't remember where I read the yogurt but it was right on the same day I read about your tylenol. Ha ha.

Related Posts with Thumbnails