Sunday, January 28, 2007

Shhh... They Don't Know We're Coming!

I told myself that the movie "United 93" was not wise for a pregnant woman to watch, with all the mom's at home with their kids and new babies and the dads on the plane who died and were calling home to say goodbye. I was an emotional basketcase, but I was riveted. This week I watched Extreme Home Makeover, which I hadn't watched in a LONG time. Jeez. A woman with 6 kids, 12 and under. She bought a home with her husband in the country and on Christmas Eve he died, after suffering from poisoning from the mold in the basement of the house. He was in bed next to her, she was nursing their new baby, and he started to have a seizure and died right there.

20 some days before he died, he delivered their baby right there in the same bedroom.

Okay wow. Their house was of course beautiful. I loved the episode, but I coldn't believe they put a sandbox in a little boy's room (I mean like 2 or 3 year old boy) and it was IN the trundle bed, nonetheless. Talk about sleeping in a bed of sand! Holy cow! By the end, I was just mildly annoyed by the wife having said "We are so blessed" for about the 15 millionth time, and from the repeated shots of the 12 year old daughter talking to the camera but unable to contain her quivering chin and tears. I felt really bad for her, because she was one of those kids who isn't very attractive when crying, and I thought they might have been exploiting her tears just a little bit, and that they probably could have given her a tissue to clean herself up with. I felt bad for her, and then I was just annoyed. Sometimes I can't help but think about what pieces of that show are "planned."

First there's the whole "They don't know we're coming." Yeah. I am sorry, but if you knocked on my door at 7am, without me knowing you were coming, and I was a single mom with 6 kids and a new baby, we would not ALL be dressed and have our hair brushed and our breakfast eaten, and be ready to run out the door and leave all our posessions and go on vacation. Bullshit they don't know you're coming Ty. You don't fool me.

Besides that. Desperate Housewives HAD to be a rerun. Ack.

Well, back to watching Family Guy and folding laundry. My last goal for the night (forget the Christmas Tree. I think it's staying for a while) is to wash all the greens that arrived in my organic produce sampler on Friday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd love to see a picture of your produce sampler if you took any ... might be something we'd be interested in.

Sincerely Iowa said...

I totally agree with you on the Extreme Home Makeover thing. While it is certainly for a good cause, there is so much about it thats staged, planned, and very unbelievable.

It was a re-run also, which I had seen before, but of course I still bawled at this one the 2nd time around.

Related Posts with Thumbnails