Friday, May 19, 2006

Bag Whore!

Ladies, what IS it about bags, purses, totes, wallets, backpacks, breifcases, luggage, etc. that we can NOT resist! I have so many purses, totes, and bags that they hang from every hook in my closet. I have them to match every outfit, different shoes, many colors, sizes, functions. It's unbelievable. I have Backpacks- five that I am aware of, 3 of them with laptop holders built in, and I ended up giving one to my husband. I have a breifcase that rolls and holds my laptop and goodies. I have LUGGAGE! (But I just sprung a zipper on a piece of luggage that we had used only once, and on our honeymoon the airline ripped the wheel off a piece of luggage that was also brand new, so we know that stuff doesn't last.)

I don't mind having variety, lots of things to choose from, for specific occasions, etc. But what amazes me, is that I can get an email with a bag like this one on sale, that has a little detachable pouch like this one, and I get all in a frenzy about how I NEED this bag! And when I think about it, I have about 3 totes of similar size. I DO NOT NEED THIS!

And I see a messenger bag that is made of recycled advertising banners like this, and I think "I need one of those!" And It is endless! I see a cute purse that a woman out shopping has, and I am craning my neck to check the brand and see if I can find it on eBay for cheap. I am a bag whore! I don't pay anywhere near full price for purses, but I love a good bag. My eye is trained to spot Guess's "G" shaped Buckles, Burberry plaid, and my friend Carrie made sure that I can pounce on a knock-off Kate Spade or Luis Vuitton. She brought me three Kate Spade Bags when she was stationed in Korea, and they are not knock-offs.

I was once at a scrapbooking party and when a guest saw my Kate Spade, she did a huge intake of breath (like the one you should never do when riding shotgun in a car, lest the driver careen off the road from a heart attack) and she said "is THAT a REAL Kate Spade?" and I said "yep!" and She was like "omigodOmigodOmigod can I Touch it?" and "where did you get it" and "how much?" and the rest of the place was like "kate Who?" (Umm... she totally has a BARBIE! Hello!) In a podunk place like this, if it ain't at Bergner's... nobody knows what's up. And I am great with that. So there is no point in paying big bucks for anything without 4 tires, because no one gets it. But I can't afford those things, and I wouldn't buy a $200 purse even if I did have tons o' cash... but it's still fun to have one (or two!) that will make people freak and THINK that I paid $200. I also have a Nine West "solid bling" bag (Turquoise and Lime Green, see the picture?) that people go ga-ga over. It was on a HUGE sale (over 50% off) at Younker's one time and after I got one, my friend Anya ran and got a pink and lime one similar to mine.

One of my Kate Spade's is Burberry Plaid and I can see green eyes of envy when I take my matching Burberry Plaid Glasses Case out of it, to put on my Burberry eyeglasses. And yeah, I did that on purpose. And people probably think I wasted BIG BUCKS on all that, but the purse was free and the glasses were covered on my insurance plan, so I just paid my co-pay. And my Camera Case is a tiny red Kate Spade. Yup. another gift. Thanks to Carrie who understands my passion for purses.

I may be a bag whore, but I am not paying big bucks for things... and I LOVE a great deal. And you CAN be a bag whore without being a label whore! It is possible! I saw an AWESOME bag at Target that I wanted, but it was $29.99 and I was like NO freaking WAY. Later I wished I would have splurged... but my most expensive purse was the $50 Nine West that HAD been over $100... and my LL Bean Boat and Tote Bags that are personalized and work great when I have lots of stuff to take, like when I go to Work or on Vacation or to the pool. Otherwise I am too cheap to pay money for bags. I have plenty to recycle over and over again.

And, if you are a real bag whore, or just a curious girl (or better yet, a curious guy) go check out the Flickr Photo Group "What's In My Bag" where women spill their purse to show you their secret. Mine's probably pretty interesting when it's clean, and you get past the stray tampon or wadded up wal-mart receipts.

Damn it! That Flickr Photostream "What's in my bag" pushed me over the edge. I knew I shouldn't do it, but it's like waving crack in front of a street whore with bruised knees. I just can't help myself. So I bought the best bag that I saw on there. I have always wanted a messenger bag that can hold my laptop. Something with lots of pouches for all my electronic gadgets and cords and then all my girly stuff too. And I like to carry a tiny umbrella, a bottle of water, all that jazz. SO.... I saw THIS photo and THIS photo and realized that I had JUST been on the container store website and saw the exact item but because they showed no inside pictures, I passed it by as "not organized enough" for my many pieces.... and gave up. Until I saw these pictures I didn't understand the magniture of what's inside. And now, I have a blue one coming in the mail. Oy. I will post pics of the organization once it arrives. Organization makes me so excited!

This Post (and others like it) Tagged Under:
Related Posts with Thumbnails